Trustee Training and Orientation
NCLS Consultants are educated and trained to assist with all aspects of trustee responsibilities including funding, marketing and public relations, policies, employer/employee relations, Education Law, and much more. We encourage all library boards to invite their Consultant to attend a board meeting at least once a year. We especially encourage you to invite your Consultant to a board meeting whenever a new trustee joins the board so that we may help orient them to being a public library trustee.
Are you a new trustee? Welcome! Please read our orientation letter.
Please visit the 'What We Do' page for more information about Consultant services.
Below are links to information about the roles and responsibilities of library trustees.
- What's My Job? (PDF)
- 2015 Edition of the Handbook for Library Trustees
- NYS Minimum Public Library Standards
- Oath of Office (PDF)
- Open Meetings Law (PDF)
- Types of Libraries- A Comparison
- Public Library Law
- Relationship Between Library Boards and Municipal Boards
- NCLS Library Annual Statistics
- Ballot Funding (2007-2019)